Mbot Cheat Sheet

Hello Everyone ! (^o^)/

After playing around with the mBot I ran into some common issues most people on this community have so I hope to write a little cheat sheet to serve as your reference guide in order to make the mBot programming a little easier for you!

1. In order to program your mBot you will need to dowload the MBlock Software:
    http://www.mblock.cc/download/

2. In the MBlock sofware:
    A. click on "Connect"
    B. Install Arduino Driver
    c. Make sure the driver is dowloaded

3. Make sure you download the Driver needed as well: http://learn.makeblock.cc/driver_installation/

4. To run programs on your Mbot you can connect via Bluetooth Make sure Mbot is on then in mBlock click:

A.Connect
    B.Bluetooth
    C.Discover (wait awhile)
    D.bluetooth paired !

*note if you are not sure if the mBot is connected (in MBlock) you can always click on the “Robots” tab then you will see a little circle next to the word mBot green means it’s connected, red means it is not.

5… You do not need to connect the black USB Cable from the mBot to the computer in order to be able to run programs you have written in MBlock!!!Just make sure your mBot is connected via Bluetooth then: write your program then click on the program (it should turn yellowish) then it will run !

6… If you do want to upload the programs to the mBot via the Arduino you will probaly have to reset the mBot afterwards because the remote control & app will not be able to control Mbot anymore
to Factory reset the mBot do this:

A. Plug in the USB Cable to your computer 
B. Click on "Connect" --> SerialPort
C. Wait a while until you see your USB cable COM Show Up in the Serial Port (For me my USB cable is COM 4)
D.Then Click on "Connect" again then you should see the "Reset to Default Program" show up click it
E. Wait until it's complete and your mBot will be reset! (so you can use the App  & Remote control again!)

Mbot won't run programs
Uploading programs to mbot
Can't restore IR functionality to Starter Robot kit

Thank you for our help.

I use Mac OSX but couldn’t connect to my mBot from MBlock? Do I need to update my driver? Or I have to use my PC to run the programme. Can I connect via Bluetooth as you suggested?

Your advice is highly appreciated. My email: jlam0077@gmail.com

Regards

Jimmy

Apple blocks unauthorized software, so I had to take the following steps to get the driver to work. file:///Users/admin/Desktop/MakeBlock%20Info/kiguino:%20How%20to%20use%20cheap%20Chinese%20Arduinos%20that%20come%20with%20with%20CH340G%20:%20CH341G%20Serial:USB%20chip%20–%20fro.webarchive

http://www.mblock.cc/download/ This link is broken. What gives? Please contact me timjameswhite@gmail.com.

Just got a mBot for Christmas, followed the information from the mBot cheat sheet and installed the drivers, but I still can’t connect the mBot to mBlock (v3.1). When I go to CONNECT > SERIAL PORT no serial ports are displayed and my mBot doesn’t show up when I try CONNECT > BLUETOOTH > DISCOVER. I’m not sure what else to try. Ideas? (I’m using Windows 10)

In what could be a completely unrelated issue, I have noticed that when I plug the battery pack onto the board, nothing lights up. Is there supposed to be an indicator light or something to tell me the power is on? (I’ve tried several sets of new batteries.) There is a green light and a flashing red light that comes on when I plug in the USB.

Hey there is your mbot the Bluetooth or the 2.4 Ghz version?

If it is the Bluetooth version , then have you installed the Bluetooth module correctly (pushed in all the way). Because if the module is installed correctly you should see a blinking blue led

Also have you downloaded the driver ? (This will make sure the COM port shows up)

http://learn.makeblock.cc/driver_installation/

Let me know !

I’ll attach a picture of how my mbot looks (I have the Bluetooth version) to make sure your connections are the same.

It is a Bluetooth version. I took out the Bluetooth chip a couple of times and reseated it with no effect, then jiggled it slightly and the mBot came to life. I’ll have to be more carefuI when I move it. MBot also shows up in my connections within mBlock.

Thanks.

Great!

Hello 12 year old here

I really thank you for writing a simple way to connect to mbot .

I was a bit confused when my mbot didn’t run code but then I found your post and realized it was because I had not installed the driver…

Would you please write some simple code tutorial for the mbot because I really like the way you explain things like simple.

Code like making my mbot move when the light is turned on and make a beep while having on leds.

Thank you for helping

Thanks for letting us know ! :slight_smile: