Makeblock Starter Robot kit goes crazy in obstacle avoidance mode

Hi all,

My son has a mbot starter kit. Quit often the robot starts racing at full speed forward and doesn’t stop while in obstacle avoidance mode. It works fine but suddenly it stops doing what it should be doing and goes full speed ahead. Any idea what goes wrong? I have done a firmware upgrade and run the default program.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Koen

Hi ko3n,

mBot robot and Starter robot are two different robots.
Do you have this one (mBot)?

If yes, for this issue, please check if you have connect the Me Ultrasonic sensor to different RJ25 port on the mCore board, and also check if the RJ25 cable between mCore and Ultrasonic sensor loose, please re plug both side have a try.

If it still doesn’t work after checked above, please refer to this document to check if the Ultrasonic sensor is okay?14. The example program to test if the Ultrasonic module is working properly.docx.zip (20.3 KB)

If the Ultrasonic sensor works again, please reset default program for mBot again have a try.2.How to reset default program manually.docx.zip (677.9 KB)

Thanks for your answer. We have this one (the bluetooth version).

I have tested the ultrasonic module by reading the distance and showing it on a display.

Hi ko3n,

This robot is Starter robot. Do you mean the Ultrasonic sensor read the distance value properly?
If yes, please reset default program for the Starter robot and see if the wall avoidance mode works okay. 1. How to reset default program for starter with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (508.7 KB)
Note: please make sure the Ultrasonic is connected to the correct port (Port 3) on Orion board.

Besides, here is a post list the FAQs for Starter robot to you for reference.

Thanks! I have upgraded the firmware again en done a default program reset. Untill now the robot works fine. I have browsed trought the FAQ session but was unable to find the same problem (doing obstacle avoidance perfectly fine and at one point stopping and running at full speed).
The previous firmware upgrade and reset to default program didn’t help. I hope this one does (at the moment it seems like it sovled the problem).

Hi ko3n,

Glad to hear that!
We will keep updating and adding FAQ for this robot kit.