Mac OS X Yosemite & Arduino 1.0.6 doesn't recognize Makeblock Orion

I have installed CH340 driver from http://learn.makeblock.cc/driver_installation/
But Arduino 1.0.6 doesn’t recognize the serial port.

How to find a mBot using Bluetooth From Mac
Issues connecting mBot via USB Serial Port & upgrading firmware at Mac 10.6
No USB connection

@mach I found the solution for the problem from Arduino forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=261375.0
After a big of googling found this article - http://www.cindori.org/enabling-trim-on-os-x-yosemite/
Just to summarise. On Yosemite:

1. install the CH340 driver
  2. Run the command in Terminal:
    sudo nvram boot-args=“kext-dev-mode=1”
  3. Reboot

It works! Thanks!

Hi Indream, I am an absolute beginner in programming, would you mind explaining how to ‘run the command in terminal’? My Mac is running on Yosemite 10.10.3. Your help is appreciated.

Hello France

You just need to copy the command: sudo nvram boot-args=“kext-dev-mode=1” into terminal.

Hi peterlee, thank you for your help! What is ‘terminal’ and how do I reach it?

I followed the instructions by downloaded the driver (CH34xInstall), ran the steps until 'Installation was successful) sign. After the window is closed, I could not retrieved the driver. This is where I got stuck so far.

Your further help is appreciated!

Terminal is one of the programs in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder. Click on it and a window will open. Then you type the

sudo nvram boot-args=“kext-dev-mode=1”

command on a line and execute it. Terminal lets you directly control your computer without a Graphical User Interface as an intermediary.

Hi TomH, Thank you for detailed explanation. I have done everything you said and logged out. After logged in, should I find an icon for the driver (in Applications?)? I connected Orion and expected the driver to pop up but it didn’t.

I am not running Yosemite so I can’t check the exact details, but once I install the drivers on my system, they never pop up again. They just work fine.

Assuming the drivers are installed and the command above is fun, I don’t think you need to do anything else for it to work.

-tom

The driver is installed, ran the command in Terminal, rebooted and connected to Orion board via USB, but there is still no sign of driver software. When you said ‘you do not need to do anything for it to work’, do you mean that I just have to plug in Orion board and driver will open by itself?

Hi,
I run OSX 10.10.3. I installed CH34xInstall sucessfully. I plugged Mscara. But Mdraw doesn’t see Mscara in the connection panel. I checked my USB connection. Mscara is not identified. I think the driver doesn’t work. I tried also to paste in the terminal :
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
but it still doesn’t work.
Why this device is not plug and play ?
what can i do no ?
thank you

Why, WHY, don’t you just sign your driver? I shouldn’t have to disable security features of my OS to get my mDrawBot to work!!!

@katharos I agree that they should just sign the driver (and their apps!), would like to hear an official response on this. I’d rather not disable kernel extension code signature verification on my main computer just to be able to use robotics software. @indream

It is not Makeblock that signs the driver, they have to send the driver to Apple and they check it out and verify it to make sure that it won’t cause problems with their operating system then they sign it, They also charge to do this.But many manufactures don’t want to send a proprietary or open source driver to driver to Apple or Microsoft to be signed.

This worked for me. FINALLY.

http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-with-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html

What is CH340 driver and where can I download it? Is it compatible with mBot bluetooth version? I have aldo usb but it is also not working with mac. I think this machine sucks.

Did you use the newer version of the Driver mentioned in this link?

I totally agree. I love my mBot and I also love Macs. I’m trying to help a school that has all Macs and wants to get 14 mBots to run a course on robotics. They WILL NOT make any changes to their kernel code using TERMINAL. So what are the options. I’m looking into the 2.4GHz adapters to replace the Bluetooth that does not work. My concern is that with 14 mBots on 2.4Ghz adapters will they interfere with each other? Of course that still does not solve the problem of connecting to the Mac via USB cable. Very frustrating…

Per a discussion I had with @pioneer, each 2.4GHz board will attach to one dongle. They had already thought through the issues of having multiple WiFi mBots running. I can verify that it seems to be the case (I have several mBots having participated in the Kickstarter campaign).

I used the driver mentioned here: http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-with-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html