Laserbot resolution problem

Hello,

i got the laserbot and everything went fine so far, thanks for the great assembly video on Youtube!
After i installed the drivers and the mlaser software, i ran a testdrive and noticed that one axis is moving faster than the other. It looks like one steppermotor is doing 1/4 stepping and the other axis is doing fullstep, which is way to fast.
If i do manually steps in the mlaser control panel, one axis is moving like 10 cm per click, the other axis about 2 cm. If i swap the drivers, the behaviour is also swapped on the axis. I think one driver does not perform microstepping instructions?

Thanks for help.

Hi reflux,

Have you done test the M image file?
If yes, could you please send a picture for the test result?

Besides, where did you buy the Laserbot? Please kindly send the receipt of the Laserbot to daisy@makeblock.com.

Hi,

yes, i did the M and here is the result (The “v” on the right was done by a pencil, not by the Laserbot):

i measured the length and one axis ist exactly 4 times longer, this is why i am guessing that one axis is operating in fullstep mode and the correct axis in 1/4 step mode. To be honest, i had not a good start at all with the “broken” axis, at the first run the axis didn’t moved at all, i had to unplug power and usb and i reattached the stepper motor driver to the MegaPi board. On the second run, the axis moved, but much to fast. Then i swapped the stepper modules on port1 and port2 and the problem moved to the other axis, so it seems to be a bad stepper driver and not the MegaPi or a software issue.

Anyway, i already ordered a new stepper motor driver and i will hope that will fix the problem. The Laserbot was bought on Amazon, delivered by Allnet GmbH.

Regards
Reflux

Hi reflux,

Glad to hear it works now and thanks for all of your suggestions.
We will provide feedback to product team.

For the latest question, normally, you can keep the settings as default if the Laserbot works. If there is high noise, you can try adjust the current for the motor by the on-board potentiometer on the driver.

Hi,

yes, i ordered exactly this one and it arrived today, i replaced the stepper driver and the Laserbot is now working as it should. The aspect ratio of the “M” is now correct and everything is fine :slight_smile:

Here are some ideas for improvements:

• When you start mlaser software for the first time, the login screen appears in Chinese and there is no way to change the language, only if you find the “Enter mlaser” button by luck. It would be nice to be able to change the language on the login screen.

• The connector between stepper motor and driver is a bit loose and can be disconnected quite easy, would be nice if this connnection would be a bit tighter.

• When engraving or cutting is in progess and you press “Stop”, the Laserbot is doing the work for some more time. Would be nice if the Laserbot will stop immediately if you press the button. (Edit: Happenend only once, maybe only on cutting mode.)

• “Preview Engraving Area” could be slower for me or it would be nice if it would have adjustable speed (slow / med / high), the Laser power should be lower during the preview.

• The Text function got a small typo: “cancle” instead of “cancel”

But this are small things, i am very happy now and this case can be closed.

Thanks for your really great products, i will buy more Makeblock products for sure.

Regards
Reflux

Sorry, one more question: The poti for the voltages on the stepper driver is set to 50% by default. It is running fine, but sometimes the stepper motors are doing some high-tone noise. Is there any recommendations for the power level on that drivers with the motors included? Is 50% perfect?

Hi reflux,

Glad to hear it works now and thanks for all your suggestions.
We will provide feedback to our product team.

For the last question, normally, it is suggested to keep the default settings if the laserbot works ok.
Since there is high noise, please adjust the current of the motor by the on-board potentiometer on the drivers.

Hi,

I have this same exact problem. How can I get this replaced?

Thank you,

Hi Tracta1,

Do you mean you get the same result when test the M test file?
Could you kindly paste a picture with the test result? Thanks!

Besides, may we know where and when did you purchase the Laserbot robot?