Laser on xy plotter V2.0 not burning paper

I am having a problem with the laser on the xy plotter V2.0
The laser turns on and off under control.
I have the laser at max intensity, I can make it increase and decrease in brightness. (255)
I am running the plotter at the slowest speed and the laser is set at continuous.
and I have the laser focused to the finest dot possible but the laser will not burn paper.

All I get is a blue focused light on the paper.

Any suggestions?

Interesting…
Obviously, don’t stick your finger under the laser, but, just to be clear, does it vibrate or emanate any heat?

I can confirm there is no heat and no buzzing or vibration.
I have checked the input power from the main plotter board. It is at 12 volts.

Strange, do you see any difference with dark paper? Did it ever work when you got it?
I was pretty happy with the 0.5W engraving on leather etc but just got myself a 3.8W laser for wood and anodized aluminum. Yee-haw.

It sounds like it’s broken, honestly. You should send makeblock an email and file for a replacement, provided it didn’t work in the first place.

Where did you get your laser, and were there any other modifications besides switching them out?

Hi
if you think talks about safety is just the usual blabla, do not read on.
Check jtechphotonics.com for the 3.8W combo with driver and fan, came in really quick. Remember: Always wear safety goggles and read as much about laser safety as you can find. Seriously consider making a housing around it. It really does hurt on skin & I would not want to know what it does to your eyes, even reflections can seriously harm you or someone else in the room. Never have the laser on and leave the room otherwise you may find the room on fire.
Currently testing a 6W NUBM44 diode (eBay) but this little bastard produces so much heat it is almost impossible to keep it cool. This is as far as I would take it. Next step will be a professional cutter that I can use for my business. But it was fun to learn with this one, thanks Makeblock!

That 6W NUBM44 diode is what I’m using for mine, and I haven’t had problems with heat so far. I think I’ve run it at 80% power so far without issue, using the heatsink and fan that came with the original MakeBlock laser. It does get warm, but not hot.

Jason that is a fantastic result. Would be great to see the details how you did that.

I tried pushing the driver close to maximum output and I’m now hitting the thermal shutdown on it occasionally. I’ve ordered some Arctic Silver thermal glue and a couple small heatsink squares. I’m going to stick that all together under the fan I already have and see how much that improves things.

This is what I’m able to get without specifically cooling the driver:

I put more details about what I did here: http://forum.makeblock.cc/t/upgraded-xy-plotter-6w-laser/3787/2

some lasers require different PCB … if it consumes more than 2-3Amps then you need additional PCB …
http://endurancerobots.com/azbnmaterial/connection-of-the-laser-laser-engraver-a-cnc-machine-a-plotter-and-a-3d-printer/