Help with Student, textbook of algorithm and Programming

I found what seems to be a very good 64 page pdf Student book titled, “Textbook of Algorithm and Programming” for the mbot, by Delagrave aimed at 8th grade and beyond. I don’t know if Makeblock commissioned this book or not, but it looks really good and its free.

On page 5, step 1 it has a green link to an example program that goes along with the text for that lesson. The link reads - lienmini.fr/a152-cookies - and the link doesn’t work (none of the links in the pdf work). Does anybody know of this book and where I might find the correct links to the example files.

There is also a teachers version of this pdf book that is much longer.

Thanks, SVrobot

Weird, I clicked the link and it downloaded a zip archive (see attached). I have not opened the file, but it does appear to contain a file named a1-cookies.sb2.

9782206101521-log-algoprog-01.zip (48.2 KB)

I can download and open it with mblock3, see below:

By the way, where you got this book?

Hi Chuck, you have been a great help before, thanks.

The link worked for me this time also, must have been a mouse error on my part. I have learned that book is not free, what I have is a sample, the links only work for the first 3 or so lessons. After that you have to buy the book I guess. Here is the link to what I am looking at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zx4IXPyhI7pfWhYKLGHg_7rRBPFTX2UF/view

Take a look, let me know if you think its a good book or do you have another book you like and can recommend. I’m 74 years old and teaching my self, so simpler is probably better.

Delagrave is a french publisher near as I can tell, here is their address https://www.editions-delagrave.fr
I can’t read french so I don’t know how to read their site or contact them and ask about getting their english version with working links. Also couldn’t find a Delagrave USA website.

Well, the best answer I can offer is that there is a notice that the book is not free for distribution without permission, so, unless you fancy using Google Translate (a lot!), I’m not sure where to direct you. I dropped an email to the publisher to see if the English version is available and where to purchase it on your behalf (I speak/read a little French) so I’ll forward that info when (or if) I get it.

Makeblock has some Scratch tutorials for the mBot that are free and there are a ton of Scratch tutorials on YouTube, the main Scratch site, etc., that Google will happily direct you to. I also wrote an ebook that is primarily aimed at autonomous programming for the mBot, but I include a brief description of a lot of the Scratch blocks so that might be useful depending upon your current level. If you are brand new to programming and Scratch, check out the tutorials first. Also, the forums here and on the main Scratch site are great places to ask questions and learn from others.

Best regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, is your book just for tablets like the Amazon tablet or is it formatted for computer screen viewing and printing on 8.5x11 paper? I think I have seen your book on Amazon but it was only for the Amazon tablet which I don’t have so I didn’t consider it.
Tell me more

Hi TechSupport, I didn’t refresh my browser so I didn’t see you comments until now. A reply or two above I have a link to where I found the book using a google search. It is already translated to english except for the words in the programming variable blocks.

Question 2 for support.
I entered Makeblocks Instagram project request ending on the July 15th. I was lucky enough to be chosen and win one of 3 Makeblock Neurons you were giving away. I no almost nothing about Instagram and have no idea how I will be notified so Makeblock can get my address for shipping. I’m pretty excited to win the Neuron so I don’t want to slip through a crack and miss getting the Neuron. If you can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Last question how do you add attachments to the forum?

Thanks to both of you again,

Mark

Hi Mark,
For tutorials for mBot, you may have a look of this post:

See below picture, you can click on the upward arrow to upload your files like pictures.

I have checked with our colleague who is in charge of Makeblock Instagram, and he did send you a private message, I am not sure if you read it. I also offered your email address to him, so he will email you over the prize. Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi TechSupport,

I have been contacted by Instagram team.
Thanks, Mark

Hi @SVrobot,

If you buy the book from the Leanpub site (link) you get the book in Kindle (.mobi), .ePub, and a typeset PDF version that is printable as a bundle. :slight_smile:

Sadly, Amazon only lets me list the Kindle version.

Best regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Bought your book from leanpub. Its already making me better and showing me some of my mistakes.

If you ever hear from Delagrave publishing, let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, that’s very gratifying to hear because I want to help people realize that robotics is well within their reach.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Regards,

Chuck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.