Help with orion

OK, I’ve built the starter kit ir version (tank), works perfectly out of the box, now its time time to program it myself.

Using scratch there are different options for different boards - do i code with “orion” or “mbot”?
when I use orion the only IR (remote controller) options are 1,2, 3, and 4 - are these forwards, left, right, and backwards??
with the mbot board the options within scratch are exactly what the IR remote shows (A,B,C…1, 2,3… forwards back etc)

I’ve had no luck programming with either “orion” or “mbot” options - which should I use and (desperately hoping) where do I find an idiots guide to programming?

Please help!

Hi George,

You use chose the Orion board for Starter when program for it.
You may simply upgrade this simple program to Starter robot to test it:

Please refer to this instruction to Upload the programHow can I upload my mBlock program to the Orion Board.zip (198.4 KB)
4. How to upgrade firmware for starter.docx.zip (1.1 MB)

For the IR remote controller, it works with the A,B,C…1,2,3… to the Starter robot either with the default program on Starter robot.
Though the Starter is a different robot with mBot but you still can download the Course in this link to learn more about the mBlock program:http://www.makeblock.com/mbot-v1-1-stem-educational-robot-kit

Thank you for your reply,

my next question is about how to control orion with the IR remote, the mscratch software gives 4 options: "button port 6 key (1,2,3,or 4) pressed "

Obviously “port 6” is the port the IR receiver is connected to, but what is the 1 2 3 4 option in the mscratch code?

I thought it might be “up, down, left, right”?? but what does it mean on the remote controller??

If you could give an example of code for the IR remote to make the robot wait until a certain button to be pressed on the IR remote (1 ,2 ,3 or 4??), then (for example) “setmotor M1 speed 100”

for example - what is the code to make the orion bot wait until the "< "button is pressed, move forward for 2 seconds, stop, wait for another button to be pressed and move in the direction of the button for 2 seconds?

If you have lots of spare time you could tell me how the ultrasonic mode works also please

Love to learn

Daniel

Hi George,

Sorry that I didn’t realize that you want to program for the IR remote controller with mBlock. Actually, for Orion board, there is no program block in mBlock to program the keys on IR remote controller. Only with default program on Starter, you can control the stater with key A,B,C and 1,2,3,4…

In the mBlock, there is a program block Infrared receiver [Port 3,4,6], these options means the port on which the Infrared receiver module connected to, it doesn’t mean the keys on IR remote controller.So I am afraid it cannot achive your request with programming the IR remote controller.

Finally found what I was looking for,

For anyone else trying to figure out how to program the remote control for the orion board : here’s how:

Thanks very much to amethyst for the code, and mddickey for the rest of the essentials, would have thrown in the towel if it wasn’t for your help!!