HELP Please! Makeblock Ultimate "Disconnect Bluetooth" Error!

Hello,

Thank you in advance. A few years ago (When make block was brand new) I purchased one of the ultimate kits. (The 500$ one) When I purchased it the software was still new, so My robot ended up being put to the side. A couple months ago, I got it back out and still, the program for coding it was broken. It really destroyed my interest in robotics at that point. I got it out one more time today hoping maybe it would work, and yet again. It does not.

When I upload even a simple code such as making motor1 spin 100 power, it tries to upload then returns with an error which states, “Upload failed, Pease remove bluetooth module”

The funny thing is, My bluetooth module is NOT even in the same room as me.

Please help,
Ian

Hi IanHarlow,

Which version Ultimate do you have? Do you have the Ultimate Blue (which has Me Orion as the mainboard) in this link?

Or could you take a picture for the Ultimate robot you have?

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I do have the blue Orion one. I can take a picture of it whenever I get home (about 7 hours)

Thanks,
Ian

@tec_support Do you still need a picture?

Hi IanHarlow,

Yes, I need the picture for the mainboard as well as the picture for the robot you have.

If the silkscreen is Me Orion on the back of the mainboard, please reset default program for the Ultimate robot refer to each steps in this post with latest version mBlock software have a try.
Please note: keep the Port 5 on Orion empty while reset default program.

Kindly take a video to show your operations and the problem once there is still error.

@tec_support

Thank you

The other side of my board is connected to the white piece with rivets that mBlock provided so I am not sure as to how I can disconnect it

This is the robot I am building

Thank you,
Ian

What is a silkscreen?

Hi IanHarlow,

From the picture, the Mainboard should be Orion board.
The silkscreen like this, but I think it may not be easy for you to check since the board is installed.

Please assemble it correctly and check all the wiring connection. If everything is connected correctly, check if it works after reset default program refer to my previous reply.
Here is the learn website where provide the instructions for Ultimate Bluetooth to you for reference.

Besides, for the battery, according to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

@tec_support

Okay, thank you, I will get back with you when I reset it

Hi,
I’m in the same situation as Ian. I bought the Ultimate robot (original version) in 2015, but could never get it to work. I just bought the Mbot 1.1 for my son and it works great. So I wanted to see about getting the Ultimate robot to work.

I have the Ultimate robot with the Orion board (for Radio Shack). I cannot update the firmware as I get an “Upload failed” error when I use the mBlock (v3.4.10 on a Mac book Pro running OS 10.11.5. I am connected via USB cable to the robot).

Any help would be appreciated. I have two specific questions:

1. What is the correct wiring diagram for the robot? I have the bluetooth module plugged into port 8, as the original directions (and the current ones online) direct. Is this correct? I have nothing plugged into port 5, but your post suggests port 5 should be used.

2. Can you be very specific about the steps for “resetting the default program”? I don’t see any directions on “learn website” you linked to. Is there a reset button or is something else involved?

My batteries are new and tested and fine. The robot lights up fine when it is turned on, but I cannot communicate with it.

Thank you in advance.

-Tom

Ian,

Did you ever get the robot to work? If so, can you write out the steps needed to reset the default program? Thank you.

-Tom

Here’s an update as I have made some progress.

1. Wiring diagram: The bluetooth needs to be plugged into Port 5 (not Port 8 as indicated on the original instructions).

2. If you’re running OS 10.11, you need to update your usb-makeblock driver following the instructions here"
    https://makeblockshop.eu/blogs/known-issues/88952964-instal-the-right-drivers-usb

When installing the driver (via the usb cable connected to the robot – with the bluetooth on the robot disconnected), there will be a reference to a program called “codebender” and page 3. I didn’t want to install another program, so I skipped this and the driver installed fine.

Once the driver is installed, you need to reboot the Mac in Recovery mode and execute a special instruction in the Terminal program. See

Note that after entering the command
"csrutil enable --without kext"
Apple doesn’t really confirm that the command was made successfully. Then you need to reboot the system.

1. Once these drivers were installed, I tried running the mblock program on my ipad (current version) and the program was able to get the robot to move forward and backwards.

Current issues:

A. Not able to get the arm to move or clutch at an object.
B. Not able to have the robot turn well. I think I may have some of the defective engines referred to in previous posts and will try to replace them tomorrow with some others I have.

That’s all for now.

-Tom

Hello, I sadly, I never got it to work.

Update II:

Using the mblock program on the mac, I can now move the arm up/down and get the arm to open/close manually. However, I am unable to get the app on the ipad/iphone to successfully move the arm.

Too bad. I don’t understand why this software isn’t easier to use since it’s pretty expensive hardware.

Hi TomH,

Do you use the Latest version Makeblock APP?
If yes, please upgrade firmware for the Ultimate Blue again refer to this instruction.How to upgrade firmware for Orion with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (493.4 KB)
If the robot still doesn’t function while controlling with Makeblock APP, you may change the batteries have a try since the Bluetooth connection may need more power. If you have rechargeable lithium battery (7.4v is okay), it is suggested to try it.

@IanHarlow

Sorry to hear about that!
Can I add your Skype account, then we may arrange a remote access to check the problem on your Ultimate Blue robot.
My Skype account is 1021306172@qq.com and we are available from 9:00~18:30 on working day, China time. Kindly let me know your available time.

Thank you. That info is helpful. It’s good to have it in one place. I believe my difficulties were caused by
a) an old version of the Mblock app. the new version works well but I know there were issues with the old app.
b) I needed the new usb driver for makeblock for the mac. The upload errors I was getting went away once I downloaded those drivers.

The main remaining issue I have is that the robot won’t turn. I will replace those motors today as I think I had the original motors that had a defect and see if that fixes all the issues. I’m much closer to getting the Ultimate robot to work than I was yesterday. Thank you.

Here’s a summary of today’s progress. I replaced the old “defective” motors with new motors. They work much better and the robot does turn better. I also reversed the wiring of the arms so that the mblock app controls the arm in the expected way (so the arm unclaps when you click on the unclasp button).

Everything is working so much better now. I am very happy to see that the Ultimate robot can work!

I have one last problem. Using the mblock app, I find that if one pushes the forward button directly instead of dragging one’s finger from the center (“stop”) area to the top, the robot usually won’t start moving. If you drag your finger from the center to the top (or to the bottom for reverse; or to the right for a right turn), the robot works as intended, but if you lift your finger and just touch the outer part of the circle, it won’t move. Is this normal? Thank you!

Glad to hear that it works, good job!
Yes, this is normal when you control the robot with the Joystick on the Makeblock APP.