Gears for 180 Encode Motor gear box

I have bought a set of mBot ranger for my son, and it is a really good set of kit to learn programming. Unfortunately, when the ranger hit an obstacle, the motor kept spinning and destroyed the plastic gear inside the 180 Encoder Motor gear box. There is a pack of spare gear the came with the kit. I managed to change the broken gear, but it happened again with another broken gear in the box. My questions are :

1. Is there anywhere I can buy the gear pack only, instead of buying the whole set including motor ? It is expensive to replace the whole set.

2. Is there any gear set that is made of metal? This will make it more durable.

Please advice.
Thanks.

Hi paulkuan,

The spare gear coming with the 180 motor, it is not available for sell individually.
We have made improvement on the 180 encoder motors by changing the plastic gear to the metal gear now. You can buy the 180 encoder motor with metal gear from this link.

Thanks, but from the link you provided, it said only the shaft is made of steel. The gear case is made of POM material, which is plastic. Did I understand this wrongly?

Also, the package content indicated 180 optical encoder motor twice. Does it mean there will be two motors in one set?

Please advise.
Thanks

Hi paulkuan,

I have confirmed with related colleague, now the 180 encoder motor has been upgraded with metal gear. So when you purchase the 180 encoder motor from this link you will get the motor with metal gear. We will update the info of POM material on the website.
There is only one motor and one motor cable in one set. Thanks for your feedback, the info for part list will be updated.

Looking forward to seeing the update on your provided link.

Thanks.

I followed the link provided and tried to order 2 pcs of 180 encoder motor. Shipping address is Hong Kong. I found that the shipping fee shown on the check out page was $1000 !

SF Express (Estimated shipping time: 1-3 business days) (0.13kg):$1,000.00

I think this is not real. Any way to fix this? or any local store site that I can use to buy these 180 encoder motor (must have metal gear as you mentioned !) ?

Please advice.
Thanks.

Hi paulkuan,

Actually, there is distributor in Hongkong, you may buy the 180 motor from local distributor directly.

If there is still purchase problem, you can contact the email address ntec-support@makeblock.com