Does mBlock/Bluetooth work on Linux?

Hello All,

I am new to mBlock and Makeblock. I bought an mBot v1.1 for the family for Christmas, but cannot connect a Linux (Debian jessie) to the mBot via bluetooth.

The mBot works, and I’ve been about to get mBlock working (I had to install all the i386 libraries) and can connect by USB, but not bluetooth. I know bluetooth works, as the android app will connect my phone to it.

Has anyone been able to get bluetooth workng under linux? Is there a guide out there.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The Linux version mBlock support Bluetooth connection. But you need disconnect the USB connection between mBot and PC.
Once still the problem, may we know the details of the problem whiel you connecting mBlock to mBot Bluetooth. If it is possible, please take a video to show your operation and the problem during connecting Bluetooth to linux version mBlock.

I have just bought a mBot and I am using Linux.
I’ve successfully used ide.makeblock.com via USB and various android apps via Bluetooth.

How do I connect to the mBot via Bluetooth from the Linux PC?
I cant seem to find any guide.

Hi audetto,
Sorry, for Linux, we don’t have guidance for Bluetooth connection. To connect Bluetooth with PC built-in Bluetooth adapter, we have mBlock 5 based on windows and mac system. You probably need Makeblock Bluetooth dongle which will form a serial com once paired up with the mBot/Ranger Bluetooth module.

To be honest, I have managed to use the online mblock in Linux in live model via bluetooth.

In doing so, I have found a few things which lack documentation:

1. the Bluetooth dongle coming with the mBot works in dual mode: bluetooth classic (SPP profile) and BLE (Uart). I think it is an HC-06
  2. using standard bluez tools I succeeded in pairing, connecting and using the COM port /dev/rfcomm0
  3. /dev/refcomm0 is then recognised by the mblock-mlink bridge and it works in live mode

The only trick in 2) is that I had to remove ModemManager otherwise, the newly create serial port is accessible only to root.

I cannot upload a sketch to mBot via Bluetooth: neither with Arduino IDE nor with the online ide.

It would be very cool if you guys added a page about all this in Linux on your website.
It seems that the hardware is plain Arduino, so nothing really special mBot-specific exists.
I will try again.

Andrea

Can i ask you how can i get bluetooth working? does it work only to control mbot (with mblock 3) or can i use bluetooth internal module to get data from ranger sensors?

Thanks

With the mblock firmware you can control via Bluetooth (as long as you have the mlink running).
You can as well send a sketch to the device, but it is tricky as you have to press the rest button just at the right time.

Using the mblock firmware protocol (https://www.makeblock.com/project/mbot-serial-port-protocol) you can query sensors via bluetooth.

Or if you write your own sketch, you can do a bit whatever you want.

In general then bluetoothe device replicates 1-1 the serial connection, with the only difference is the lack of reset at the begin of a connection which makes uploading of sketches tricky (but you can use the cable).