CodeyBot is it dead or alive?

So I got my CodeyBot last week and so far the kids and I love playing with it. However being a software developer I wanted more out of it, even to build another iOS app for it as my kids are starting to become bored with the default faces and the like. They are still a bit young for the actual code side of things.

First off, the CodeyBot website seems to be down: www.codeybot.com

All Google searches seem to result in old news like “CodeyBot is awesome go back it on Kickstarter”. Even here there’s no results when searching “CodeyBot” so I’m not even sure this is the right place.

Does anyone know if this is the right place, or if there’s someplace else that the CodeyBot owners are gathering? And does anyone know if there’s some sort of SDK or the like for some advanced development with CodeyBot?

This site is exclusively for Makeblock products.
I’m not certain what happened to Codybot, but it was a Kickstart, so it may have failed to meet its goal and folded.

Hi Chris_Weed,

The www.codeybot.com is expired. The codeybot sites will be online on our official website makeblock.com in one or two weeks. Temporarily, please refer to the info for codeybot on Kickstarter.

I see that the codeybot website is back up but exceptionally out dated (claims that its at the Kickstarter kickoff). There’s also no forum on that site.

I seriously feel like I’m the only owner of this thing

I’d like to know if there’s an SDK of sorts so I can build my own interface/apps for it.

The kids are already tired of the limited things the “free play” mode has. And I’m always looking for a more advanced development platform to really explore what I can do with codeybot.

You at least have an iOS device - there is a mBlockly app for it with which you can program the thing. However there is no such app for Android. I wonder if the Makeblock app can be made to work with Codeybot.

I wanted to gift Codeybot to my kids for their birthdays (consecutive days), but without an app to program it - that would be like a half present.

I can always pass the communication through a computer with a Wireshark or Fiddler (if http) to sniff the protocol, but that wasn’t my initial intention. You can try that too if mBlockly is not enough.

Yes the wireshark was exactly where I was going to go next. I just assumed more than just me had thought to do this (or already has).

Problem is I’d like to just dive into customizing it, not worrying about reverse engineering this “open platform” :slight_smile:

If I make any progress I’ll report it back here. Please @bundyo let me know if you find anything as well.

Will do :slight_smile:

I am in the same boat. I our codeybot actually doesn’t fully work, can’t access the microphone and there is no support.

Hi Danilo_Buendia,

Do you mean the microphone function on the Codeybot APP doesn’t work?
Please kindly refer to this instruction to make sure you operate properly.Codeybot_STD_APP Instruction_.zip (3.4 MB)

If there is still issue, you can let me know by sending email to tec-support@makeblock.com.

Besides, here are some more info for codeybot to you for reference: http://learn.makeblock.com/en/introduction-to-programming-mblockly-for-codeybot/
Codeybot User Manual Final_.zip (8.9 MB)

I’m also looking for more info and community around programming CodeyBot. I backed the Kickstarter expecting an Android app to program the CodeyBot, but now I read the MakeBlock has not yet created one. I can buy an iPad to run mBlockly on, but before I do, I want to know which models (versions?) of the iPad will run the mBlockly app. I’ll be buying a second-hand or refurbished one, so I want to be sure which models can run the mBlockly app before I buy one. Alternately, if there are any CodeyBot owners reading this who program their CodeyBot using mBlockly, which iPad models are you using?

Hi Chrome Templar,

The codeybot can work on iPad 2 or above but with iOS verison 7 or above.

I just received the Codeybot, and the iPad app worked with WiFi for a while, but now it does not show a WiFi connection in the app, even though Settings does connect to the Codeybot by name.

Is there something else that is required to get the connection to work? Why would have worked initially, and not now?

Hi RRWagner,

I have sent you an email, please kindly check it and you can reply my email directly.

I got this for my son. Except for the pre loaded actions, we cant seem to do anything more even with the mblockly app. By writing those simple programmes, he couldnt still make the bot do what he wanted to. For eg., if he programmed it " when the tablet shakes…" it wouldnt do anything if he shook the tablet. And theres absolutely no help. The manual link that is suggested above is very basic. Its very disappointing. I dont understand how is this supposed to teach any coding at all? Which was what pushed me to support the campaign.