Better Question: Why can't I make a SQUARE!

Alright. So I made a thread asking about the scaling popup here.

While knowing how to do this would also solve my problem, I also could have just said this. (I’m making a new thread because I also still need answers to that thread.

I can make infinitely complex images like this,

but I can’t make a SQUARE.

I found that you can make a square with a unicode text box, but that will not work for my current project. How else can you make an actual square?

Which firmware are you using? Are you technical enough to switch to a gcode only firmware if you’re not already using one?

I haven’t tried gcode becausd I heard that it wasn’t working according to the reviews and several forum threads.

I have a working gcode based plotter so that’s definitely possible. The gcode firmware for laser systems is much better than the stock firmware (see Upgraded XY plotter - 6W laser).

The major issue that I see is actually generating the gcode in the first place. You may have to abandon the makeblock toolchain in favour of something inkscape based which is not perfect either but the pain moves from the plotter not behaving as expected to trying to wrangle a workable toolpath out of what is essentially an art program. It’s definitely possible, I’ve done it but it wasn’t just download image, click button and plot.

I assume by the way that since you plotted the fish, you’ve confidently eliminated mechanical issues from your investigations?