7 segment led display from MBlock

I could not make the 7 segment led display appear in my MBot, from an MBlock 3.4.5 IDE.

Is it necessary to upload to Arduino? (which I could not make, that is another post)

Thanks

The 7 segment display works with mBlock 3.4.5 + mBot over tethered connection (Bluetooth, 2.4g Serial, wired USB) using the “Green Flag” hat. Although you can upload an Arduino program that uses the 7-seg display,it’s not neccessary.

–andrew

Thanks for your answer. Actually my first try was to run directly from the MBlock IDE, no Arduino upload.

I have the 7 segment display connected via the RJ45 plug+cable to a port numbered, say, “1”. And I inserted the piece of code for setting a number on the display, on Port 1. But nothing happens.

On the other hand, a similar issue ocurres with the 30-led linear display. I cannot display anything. I’ve plugged the display into Port 1, then sent a display command to Port 1, but nothing gets displayed there. However, other MBot core board leds do get turned on.

Am I missing something regarding port numbering?

Thanks,
Fernando

Is your Mblock IDE correcly connected to the bot? You should see the status in the title bar of the IDE.

Yes, it is. I can connect either via Bluetooth (preferred) or COM port.

Sorry, then I have no idea. Do other components work on the port?

Hi fer_lopezbello,

Besore you test the online program, please upgrade firmware for the mBot first by USB cable.
Kindly refer to this instruction.1. How to Upgrade Firmware for mBot.docx.zip (690.6 KB)
Once it still doesn’t work, please kindly take a video to show your operation and the behaves on the mBot.

This is a good example of the intermittent frustrations that many people (myself included) seem to experience with mBlock and other Makeblock products.

Although I used both the 7seg and the Matrix yesterday, I’ve had afternoons where I plugged both parts into the board and saw zero results.

When I hit weird problems like that, my default process is-

Connect via USB.
Update firmware.
Restore default program > mBot
Disconnect USB.
Connect with 2.4g

I know how frustrating it is to rely on elaborate “turn it off and on” rituals. But when I can’t control/connect to a part using a tethered mode, I’m not sure what other options are available.

My old plan was to create an uploaded/Arduino program to test the component, just to double check my hardware and wiring. But when that works (and they almost always work), then I’m back at the same point of having to restore firmware and default program. When the uploaded program works and the tethered version doesn’t, I mentally add it to a list of mBlock errors that I’ll check when a new version ships. (See: LED strips with more than 15 lights)

If anyone else has ideas (or even semi-superstitious procedures) about how to drill down with testing specific components, I’d like to hear about them.

–andrew

That did the trick. Thanks!