Raspberry Pi + Arduino IDE + mBot Ranger

I thought by making my subject title more clear, it might help to provide some context to what I’m going to share here. I have a rather unique circumstance, so do bear with me. Firstly, I do not have a laptop currently (my MacBook died on me in December 2018, and I have no budget for a Windows laptop). I have been depending on my Raspberry Pi as a development machine ever since. Thanks to pi-top, I was sponsored a pi-top [3], which is what I am currently using.

So, now that the backstory is out of the way, I can talk about my challenge. I know that the mBlock software isn’t compatible with Raspberry Pi. I mean, I have been doing some research about it and it seems like there is currently no compatible version (or way) to use either the online editor or mBlock on the Raspberry Pi.

So, that’s okay, I’ve decided to use Arduino 1.8.8 (not the latest version since they just released 1.8.9 during Arduino Day 2019). I have downloaded the library from Github, I was able to program the entry-level mBot without any problems.

But when it comes to the mBot Ranger, I am not sure which examples that are listed will work with the mBot Ranger (Auriga). I have tried to upload two examples so far, and both times, it seems to override the firmware. I uploaded the code, but the mBot doesn’t move. When I tried to connect it via BT from the mBlock mobile app, it says that it’s disconnected. I have to upload the firmware via Arduino again before the mBlock mobile app can connect with the mBot.

So, now that you have understood my current challenges, I would really appreciate it if someone can help me to better understand what’s the best way to work with the mBot Ranger using my Raspberry Pi environment.

Are you aware that the mBot Ranger uses the Atmel ATMEGA2560 Processor, not the Atmel AT328P processor used on the mBot STEM robot?

Hey @chuckmcknight, yeap I am aware that it is based on the ATmega2650 controller. I have also selected that under the “Boards” within Arduino IDE.

Can you post the code you are using?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.