Ultimate 2.0 loses bluetooth connection whenmotor runs

I built an Ultimate 2.0 robotic arm. I have reset the default software many times and have the updated app on my Google Pixel phone. The app usually works for only a few seconds before it loses connection with the robot and this always happens when I try to drive the robot. I can clamp and unclamp and usually raise and lower, but the drive wheels force loss of connectivity. It seems like a power problem. I have tried with new batteries and newly charged expensive 1.6v rechargeable batteries and with an a/c adapter and get the same result every time. My 2.0 is a year old so I am wondering if there is a new power supply option or maybe new motor controllers that I should purchase? Or is it something besides a power spike associated with starting a motor? Thanks for any suggestions!

Gary

I have the same robot. Do the motors work when you have the USB connected.

simple%20motor%20test

Hi gmeyer1357,

You mentioned that you have the Ultimate 2.0 robot for 1 year. Did it working properly before?
For the unstable Bluetooth connection, have you ever tried other mobile devices?

For the battery, do you use six rechargeable batteries (each is 1.6v) for the Ultimate 2.0.
Besides, for the abnormal behaves that the drive wheels force loss of connectivity, could you please kindly take a video to show your operation and the behaves on the robot. You can send the video to email daisy@makeblock.co via pCloud transfer website.

Thank you rojoamigo for encouraging me to duplicate the problem with simple makeblock code. I have experienced this problem with a long java program and with the default program and now can duplicate it with this simple demo. I will be posting video. After a few (variable) minutes of operation the processor stops responding to any input and stops sending any output (no serial port messages). The problem is NOT with the Bluetoth connection as I had originally suspected.

The video shows my robot connected via USB and with an AC adapter cable (no battery issues). Once the program “hangs” the only way to unstick it is by pressing the reset button or reloading the default program. Powering off, then on does NOT solve the problem.

Yes, my 2.0 worked fine when I first built it a year ago, and yes, it is updated with current software.

I think I need a new MegaPi board. Any other opinions?

Thanks
Gary

05%20PM

Hi Gary,

We will wait for your video.
Besides, the program you pasted is the online program. Normally, you need upgrade firmware for MegaPi board before running the online program.
Here you mentioned that you need reset default program to make it works sometimes. It looks like you haven’t tried upgrade firmware for MegaPi to support running online program. Here I attach the instruction which guide upgrade firmware for MegaPi to you for reference. How to Upgrade Firmware for MegaPi.zip (252.4 KB)

Here is a FAQ list for mBlock, you can refer to FAQ number 6 to check the explanation for distinguish the online program and offline program.

Thank you. Yes, I have upgraded the firmware so that I can run online programs. Yes, the same problem happens running online and offline programs. The program runs for a random number of seconds (or clicks when running online) and then stops responding to anything. No Bluetooth, no serial port. The robot continues to run in the state it was in when communication stops. If it is powered off, then it will continue to run in that state when power is restored. The only ways to reset the robot are to restore default program, or press the reset button on the board.

As always, thanks for your help.

Gary:

What happens if you set the encoder motor to a power versus an rpm command? I wondering if there is enough distance between the white sensor and the black coding disk. white tab parallel, which it needs for RPM.

Also what happens if you try just one motor (port 1 or 2). It could be one motor or one motor driver that is bad and sending the whole system into spazz mode. If the arm (port 3) and gripper (port 4b) work then you could swap the track motor cables to port 3 and 4 for testing.