Onboard default not working and random modes

Hi All,
Just assembled the MBot DIY version with my daughter using the AA battery option and turned it on and it seemed to work for about 30 seconds - the LED lights flashed and seemed to go into IR mode and when clicking the onboard button the wheels turned so assuming that kicked into the obstacle avoidance mode and then about a minute after the onboard button wouldn’t cause any change. Now when we turn it on and off the onboard button does not work. randomly it seems to turn on with white lights or no lights. the onboard button does not work.

Any suggestions? Hopefully we can turn this back to a positive experience for my daughter… thanks!

Hmmmmmmmm. Have you tried coding it? Mabye that will fix it?

Thanks. Are you say we need to code it to exhibit the default behavior expected as shown in the assembly instructions? Shouldn’t I be able to toggle through the 3 different modes without coding it? Just want to make sure the core mechanical works as expected/ described.

Hmmm. You should be able to. Take off the mcore top casing and make sure everything is okay and nothing is broken.

Hi piper,
Sounds like your AA cells are flat or nearly flat.
mBot is fairly hungry when it comes to batteries, you will only get a few hours of reliable operation.
I teach STEM classes using mBot and have found that mBot will start to do random things when the batteries are nearly flat.
I therefore have a box of new batteries on hand.
Sometimes the motors will run when commanded but the line following sensor will make random decisions with nearly flat batteries.
Make sure you invest in good alkaline AA cells and always replace all the cells at the same time.

I am sure that once you have fresh batteries your daughter will have a rewarding and positive experience with the great little mBot robot.

Phil,
that was it! thanks. Also just ordered a 3.7 V Lithium based on this thread http://forum.makeblock.com/t/lipo-battery-charging-specs-for-mbot/1346/14
My daughter had the bluetooth app downloaded and MBOT connected while I was searching for the bluetooth FAQ. very cool!

Piper,
Let us know how the 3.7V Lithium battery goes, may invest in some myself.

Yay!! I’m so happy you got it fixed!

:smile: