No communication between computer and Mscara

I have assembled the Mscara, downloaded and installed the driver but nothing happens. I have an svg file in Mdraw, clicking the pen up or pen down button does not work. Help - any ideas

Forgot to mention I am running a Mac OSX 10.11.1

never mind, I sold it on Ebay - Makeblock not ready for primetime

Sorry to hear that Jonathan :(… I just got mine today and had the same problem ><. But just for future reference make sure that none of your USB is connected to the computer when connecting the mDraw bot. Connect your mDraw bot and update the firmware and connect and it should be working.

EDIT: nevermind. It seems that the cable wasn’t fixed properly.

I’m really sorry to add something to this old topic.
Just have mine build up.

I don’t have any other USB device connected but it doesn’t work anyway under Ubuntu 16.10.

The LEDs are red. I guess that’s a bad sign?

Connecting via USB seems to be okay but everytime I click on “Update Firmware” the connection is closed again. Any advice?
In terminal appears:

0 /dev/ttyUSB0 open success
0 port closed

If I load a SVG and press play the status bar stays at 0%.

EDIT: it works “a bit better” in Windows 10. I built the EggBot now and setting the Firmware / pressing play works in Windows. So I guess it’s a problem with the driver or device file? Is there any useful debugging process for this?

In dmesg I see

[  533.761763] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[  533.907257] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523
[  533.907262] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  533.907265] usb 1-2: Product: USB2.0-Serial
[  534.959903] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[  534.959961] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[  534.960005] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[  534.963382] usbcore: registered new interface driver ch341
[  534.963480] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for ch341-uart
[  534.963511] ch341 1-2:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
[  534.964803] usb 1-2: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0

In Windows:
The servo to move the pen is doing something (moving the pen up and down very harshly) but the both bigger servos for rotation doesn’t move at all.
Is there any process to debug such things as well?

Now as the Firmware is updated it recognizes the firmware in Linux. So I guess firmware uploading is broken in Linux.

Now I also tried to disconnect the servos but mDraw doesn’t complain at all. So I guess there is no checking whether any connection is working at all.
I still have no idea what could be wrong here.