mBlock App for the Ranger

Still not able to achieve full functionality. I have upgraded software and installed the driver. I am able to upload “Aurgia Programs” but then it won’t connect to bluetooth for the Makeblock app or mblock app. When one thing works another stops working. The key thing I want to be able to do is use the block coding so that I can set a track I want the ranger to take, walk out of the room, press the start button via bluetooth then once the tracked program is complete write a new program/track for a new space and repeat over and over again for new different spaces. This however has never worked as it never executes this programming. Still wasting my time, might be better to just give up at this stage. I’d like to skype if possible before taking back to the shop. What time zone are you in I’m in New Zealand. Cheers, Will

Hi NZmBot,

When you upload your own program to the Ranger robot, the factory default program will be lost and you can’t control it with the mobile APPs, but you can reset default program for it again when you want to control with mobile APPs. How to Reset default program for Ranger with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (411.4 KB)

Besides, may I know what kind of battery do you use and how long have you used it? According to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

At last, sorry for forgetting to tell you the time zone. We are available from 9:00~18:30 on working day, China time. Kindly let me know your available time and inform me when you add my Skype.

Just FYI the issue was the fact I was trying to control it with Android (Galaxy S8+). The technician at the shop I bought it from was able to control it fully with both apps on his iOS device. Thankfully they gave me a refund. Cheers, Will

Hi @tec_support,
same as @NZmBot: the android mBlock app connects to the Auriga and that’s all - the commands are not executed.
Tested with:

• latest mBlock V0.6-V0.6.0-EN (-DE) on Android 6.x and 7.x
  • latest firmware Auriga 09.01.016 (updated from Makeblock v3.0.6)

P.S. it is not battery issue, the Makeblock App works as expected.
P.S.2. tested with iphone - works! Please update the android version.

Hi forti,

Thanks for your info.
I have provided this feedback to our engineers. Will inform you when there is update.

Hi @tec_support,

the mBlock update worked, the Ranger play is there.
One issue is left - the “sound detected” events are hit or miss, mostly miss, the Chapter6 tasks are no joy.

In mBlock “create mode” the sound sensor on the Auriga board shows values 158-165, I can see short peaks, but a clap is undetectable from the “sound detected”.

Is there a way to up the sensitivity for the on-board sensor? Removing the case does not help.

Hi forti,

Thanks for your feedback!
The on-board sensor on auriga does not react very properly sometimes especially when there is a lot of noise in the environment. You may test it in a quite environment and see if it perform better.
Here we have also provided feedback to product team to keep optimize product performance.

Hi @tec_support,

in the Ranger documentation it is stated: “Based on the LM386 power amplifier and the electret microphone, the sound sensor can output analog values ranging from 0 to 1023. It can be used in sound interactive projects, such as a voice operated switch.”

I need your support to identify:

• is it my Ranger faulty due to hardware malfunctioning, warranty fall?
  • is it a software/firmware implementation, that can/will be fixed?
  • something else?

In a quite (home) environment the sensor outputs ~160, the sensor represents deviations based on noise events.
The dedicated function “sound detected” is not usable.

Is the 160 value normal for the Auriga onbord sound sensor?
How is the “sound detected” function implemented?
Please provide a code example for the current “sound detected” function.

Hi forti,

The 160 value is normal. We have the same test value.This is not hardware issue on the sound sensor.
For this issue, I have provided feedback to related team, temporarily, they are considering to optimize through the example case on mBlock APP.

Our engineers are talking about better optimizing plan via software (in mBlock APP) in order to better solve it finally,this may take some time to achieve it, please kindly wait.

Sound sensor on Auriga board

@tec_support
Thank you for bringing it further, a solution will be much appreciated.

Could you also check the behavior in the Makeblock App of the “sound detected by (sound sensor on board)”?
At the moment it does not seem to work.

It would be great if the same logic is implemented on both mobile apps and the mBlock desktop application.

I have to put this out, you build great hardware and good software, but keeping on the current “keep it hidden” behavior you are not profiting on a long term.

Having something to show the kids, to discuss it and talk alternative solutions could only benefit you.
To get your customers involved please be more open, publish the code/blocks behind all the detected and similar functions you’ve implemented (and hide) in the apps, make these as examples (.sb2) and/or (.ino) on GitHub.
The Ranger and mBot educational robot kits need these bits.

It was the Makeblock-Libraries GitHub and the mBlock apps that turned me into looking at the Makeblock robots.
The idea is just great: a robot set, an app for kids to be used from novice to advanced, a PC Scratch version, Arduino programming and an AppInventor extension. That’s the perfect educational set, so long it allows for tinkering and all the bits are explainable - docs, examples, source.

I really appreciate the new Linux support, using v4.0.4 with Arduino latest and the Makeblock-Libraries, also the App Inventor extension.
On the other side, the mBlock repository is outdated (Feb 27), the mobile apps blocks source is not present nor documented, same for the AppInventor extensions.
The sound detected issue should not happen to an educational toy: a guided tour that fails without reasoning.

If the code/blocks behind the “sound detected” function has been known, we could’ve saved some valuable time. I can just guess that the mBlock App implemented the code like described in Chapter 13 from the ranger-online-course with “Max” hardcoded to 200 and due to BT some events are missed.

Improving the docs, it would be helpful to have examples for all the sensors, e.g. links to github, and also place the objectives next to the chapter names for the ranger-online-course.

The Makeblock App doesn’t implement all the blocks the mBlock app has and probably vice versa, the icons differ too. Please have a look and unify these for better and consistent user experience.
The following is not possible to use in the Makeblock app - missing abs(), but on the mBlock mobile and desktop apps:

Hi forti,

Yes, I have tested the auriga onboard sound sensor with Makeblock APP, it functions similar with using mBlock APP.
For both the issue and all your opinions on the softwares, I have shared them to related team for reference, thanks all of your pertinent advice.

BR

Hi,

You don’t need Github to get the source code of blocks: In Windows/Mac/Linux version of mBlock (not the web version), Select “Extensions / Manage Extensions” in the menu, choose “Installed”, and click “View Source” of “mBot Ranger” extension (or any other blocks), it will navigate you to the folder with the Source Code. The truth is all hardware support are extensions and their source code is public all the time.

• Yu

Hi and thank you for the responsiveness.

@tec_support, it could be i did not explain the issue correctly.

1. The Makeblock and mBlock Arduino APPs does not have all functions as in mBlock/Scratch.
    Example: the Math/Operators functions abs(), floor(), ceiling(), ln(), log(), e^ , 10^ are missing or partly implemented, abs() is in the mBlock APP only.
  2. Both Android APPs differ too much from each other on blocks and icons implementation.
    Example: Sense vs Event/Detect and their functions, Math diff
  3. The mBlock Desktop does not provide the “detect” blocks presented in the mobile apps

These differences are not easy to follow for younger children. Probably it can be considered to go for more consistency in the UI, something like - the mBlock App and mBlock Desktop use the same Scratch and Robot blocks, and the Makeblock App just extends these.

@bigeyex, thanks, this would’ve been great, I do not need the source of the applications, but of the blocks.
With “mBlock 4.0.4 for Debian/Ubuntu 64bit” I cannot get to “View Source”: “No mBlock Extension installed in this computer”.
There are different blocks implementations in the mobile apps and the desktop mBlock, will the special blocks used for events in the mobile apps be visible?

Look for the “folder” icon or similar thing. Sorry I don’t have a Linux machine to tell you where exactly is the source. But anyway I zipped those source code in a zip file, hope this will help:
libraries.zip (76.0 KB)

For the mobile & PC consistencies… Good suggestion! Actually Makeblock is working on this and all the apps will have the same blocks category when mBlock 5 (the next gen version) is released.

-Yu

Thank you, it is great that you’ll be looking into it for the next gen version, Scratch 3.0 too? :slight_smile:
Regarding the libraries.zip, if i didn’t overlook, these are the basic blocks included from the mBlock PC version. I’ve been looking to show the “event/detect” blocks present in the Makeblock/mBlock mobile apps, e.g. “obstacle ahead”, “flame detected”, “sound detected”, etc.
I really appreciate that you’ve provided the file on request, still, the idea was to make the functional blocks visible. Probably as previously suggested, just make the mobile app blocks available to the desktop mBlock too, then the Arduino mode says it all.

Ranger does not work with mobile mblock.

mblock ver 0.8.3
mbot ranger ver Auriga 09.01.017

mblock Updated for PC.
Android and iPhone will have a Bluetooth connection.
However, it does not work.

Hi wongil,

Currently only Chinese, English and German mBlock APP support the Ranger function currently.
Please change the language settings of your mobile device to English, then the mBlock APP will automatically transfer to English version.

mbot ranger kids use.
English apps are difficult for kids.
Please update the Korean version.

Hi wongil,

Now, we have plan to develop mBlock APP base on scratch 3.0, it will support both mBot and Ranger in various languages when it is available. Please kindly wait.