Drive belts for plotter

I’m building a bigger (double sized) version of the XY plotter so I need various larger sized parts. I’ve got most things, except for the drive belts (is that what they are called?).

I assume they are a standard size and spacing, I just need longer ones.

Does anyone know what sort of belts are supplied with the XY plotter so I can order longer versions?

I believe it is called a timing belt. Try the terms “plotter timing belt” on Amazon or AliBaba. :slight_smile:

Thanks Chuck, I’ll try that. I was wondering what to specify for the tooth height and spacing, it needs to fit on the cogs of the steppers…

That would sort of depend on which cogs are on the steppers. :wink:

I would suggest that you check here and find the gear/cog that matches the one on your steppers. The parts appear to provide specs that should answer those questions. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I think it is this:

Cogs in Plotter Kit

I’m using much from the kit, just extending the size.

Glad to be able to help! :smiley:

Hi Giovani, interesting project…I’d be interested to make a double size XY plotter too so it would be great if you could maybe post your experiences, tips and tricks etc. on how to do it when you can. meanwhile you should find long lengths of timing belt at:http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts-open-length-belting-c-25_38_49.html

Good luck …Jeff Turner

…in fact you could just replace the stepper drive cogs to match the long drive belt from the same site:http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts-open-length-belting-c-25_38_49.html …that way avoiding the hassle of possibly mismatching the new belt and the existing XY Plotter cogs. That way you’d only have to match the stepper shaft diameter…much less chance of a mismatch…

Jeff

I’m collecting the bits at the moment, but I want to do a 1m x 1m plotter:

My biggest problem was finding long enough guide rails, but e-bay is wonderful!

I think I’m going to have a few problems mounting them securely and accurately, but the job will keep me away from these %&%$£ screens I stare at all day…