Can't upgrade firmware on mBot (OS X El Capitan)

Hi all…wondering if someone can help…i have successfully connected the mBot to mBlock via USB cable. The connect via Bluetooth is greyed out having reading some of the forum posts I am trying to upgrade the firmware. When I try the pop up appears at 0% then fails shortly after that.

Any ideas…thanks

Hi robnewtonuk,

Both the USB connection and bluetooth connection need use the serial port communication, so when you connect PC to mBot with USB cable, the bluetooth connection will be unavailable.

Thanks…understood I have connected via USB so I can upgrade the firmware. I am upgrading the firmware so I can connect via Bluetooth at which point I will remove USB connection. (The Bluetooth is currently greyed out)

Yes, that’s right. If the bluetooth on mBlock software is till greyed out even removed the USB connection, please check the following points:
1.make sure the PC has the bluetooth function.
2. If it has, make sure the bluetooth is opened on PC
3. Make sure you have paired the PC with the bluetooth signal from the mBot

Hi Robnewtonuk,

I have verified that for bluetooth connection on Mac, the bluetooth option under connect is always gray. The bluetooth serial will show under connect-> Serial port option after you paired the bluetooth.

Besides, here is a link show how to connect the device to mBlock: http://learn.makeblock.com/getting-started-programming-with-mblock/
In this link, it mentioned that the bluetooth serial will show under serial port option on Mac system.

I’m having the same problem initially expressed above. I have successfully connected to the Robot using Bluetooth, under MacOS X, but the ‘upgrade firmware’ function fails at 0%. Has there been an answer to this either here or in another thread do you know?

Hi mcgoram,

mBlock can’t upgrade firmware or upload program to the robot with Bluetooth connection.
The Bluetooth connection betweem robot and mBlock is supposed to run program online. If you want to upgrade firmware or upload own program to the robot, you must disconnect the Bluetooth and connect the USB cable.