Bad Me Stepper Driver?

I’ve just assembled my XY Plotter and delighted with the process of building it, but it won’t move in the X-axis. Through a series of swapping ports, motor power plugs, I’ve tracked the problem to the stepper driver intended for the X-axis motor. It did move in the X-axis when I plugged that motor into the other stepper driver— and then it didn’t move in the Y-axis, assuring me the problem laid in the stepper driver.

Here are photos of the stepper driver in question.

As you can see, it does light up. Is there anything that looks off about it or anything I should try changing? I realize there’s switches, but they look the same as the functioning one. It’s very disappointing to build this and discover one of the parts is potentially bad.

Also— the board of this stepper driver heats up pretty fast. The other one doesn’t seem to. Maybe that’s a clue?

Hi meowmers,

Could you please kindly let me know where & when(the date) you bought the robot kit?
and please send the order # & receipt to tec-support@makeblock.com

1/4/2016 at MonoPrice.com I emailed the invoice to you. Thanks

We had a stepper driver stop working and assumed it was our fault (shorted may be?) so purchased another. The second one also went hot and stopped working. Have to say that the pen positioning hadn’t been made to work properly by the time the drivers failed.

Now have a non-functioning X-Y plotter and not sure what to do - at £22+ for a new driver board not keen to throw more money at the problem.

Any suggestions please. Is it likely that we are not the cause of the problem (our current position, since the second board burnt out within minutes of being plugged in) and can expect MakeBlock to resolve the issue for us at no further cost?

HiAcboother,

Sorry to hear that!
Normally,the me stepper motor driver is not easily broken. Do you use the formal power adapter? Did you operate properly accoridng to the user manual of XY plotter?

So now, the stepper motor driver for one axis motor is broken and the driver for the other axis motor is still working properly? The broken one was burned out or it just doesn’t work even with LED lit up? Do you mind to let me know the details for the issue.

If it is possible, please kindly add my skype account (1021306172@qq.com) for better communication. My available time is 9:00~18:30 working day at China time.

The supplied power with the kit was used.

I believe the instructions were followed.

The other driver still seems to work.

I think the original and second one purchased have both burnt out. My colleague and I were both leaning over the second device when it started to smell hot. Both faulty ones still show the power on LED lit up.

I have added you to my Skype and established contact but I note we have a limited amount of time when we are both awake at the same time.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for details. I see the request on skype, I have add you and left a message there. Please kindly check it.

Hi
I am experiencing the same issues that Alan is experiencing,
did you manage to come to a working solution or was a new part ordered?
Thanks
Brad

Hi Brad,

Do you mean you have a me stepper motor driver which is burned? Was it working properly before?
Which robot kit do you have? Please kindly let us know with more details. If it is possible, kindly take a video to show the issue on the driver, it should be help to confirm if it is the issue.

HI
Yes the stepper motor drive, it was working but then appeared to stop working but the small red indicator light still illuminates when plugged in. I have the XY plotter kit only purchased 2 weeks ago, the issue seems to be that when given an outline to draw the y axis works just fine but the x axis doesn’t move so I just get vertical lines drawn. The same happens when I switch the board to the other motor I just get horizontal lines being drawn and I can also move the faulty axis by hand there is no resistance in the motor like its not being supplied a voltage.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Brad

Hi Brad,
Please kindly let me know where & when(the date) you bought the robot kit, and send me the order # & receipt for recording.thanks!
Pls kindly take a video to show the issue on the driver, it should be help to confirm if it is the issue.

The kit was bought from Rapid electronics on the 1/2/17, I haven’t got a copy of the receipt but the PO# is 96110, there is a copy of a video attached to show the issue, as you can see in it only the Y axis moves and the x axis motor does not.
Thanks
Brad

Uploading… https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BymY_9vMr1nZY3hlNzM0R0xtUXc/view?usp=sharing

Hello Brad,
From the video I can only see vertical movement.
What if you change the stepper driver to the X axis motor or change the RJ25 cable, does it work?

I have tried to move the driver over to the other axis but fault follows the driver! Once swapped the other axis then works as expected
Brad

Hello Brad,

So it is the driver issue not the motor? and have you tried swap the RJ25 cables?

Yes the problem seems to follow the board when its moved axis, all cables work fine with working board swapped in. Both motors and their cables seem to work ok when you connect the working board its when you connect the faulty board the axis doesn’t work at all.
Brad

Hi Brad,

According to the picture below, the issue driver is the Driver for Motor A (control X axis), this driver is connected to Port 1 on Orion board. In order to exclude the Port 1 is not the cause, you may exchange the place of the Driver for motor A and Driver for motor B (Connect the issued driver to Port 2 on Orion with RJ25 cable and connect to Motor B).

Once the Y axis still doesn’t work, then this driver should be faulty. According to the warranty process, you can contact the local re seller Rapid electronics for the replacement of one Me Stepper motor driver.

I have exchanged the places of the driver boards and indeed as I have explained the issue then moves to the opposite axis meaning the driver is at fault and is faulty. I will contact Rapid electronics to get a replacement Me Stepper motor driver sent to me,
thanks
Brad