Avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "HID": The system cannot find the file specified

Downloaded the latest makeblock desktop client, and when trying to upload to the mcore for the first time (via wifi), I get this error:

avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “HID”: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

The USB connection seems fine, unable to upload via the wifi connection.

Hi sacrophyte,

Please be aware that wireless program with 2.4G/Bluetooth connection can only do online debug and you have to be disconnected from 2.4g/Bluetooth and be connected with the USB cable if you are planning on uploading programs to the mBot for standalone operations

The 2.4G/Bluetooth wireless connections allow you to use the mBot firmata to send commands over the air from the computer via Bluetooth or WiFi, but you must have the mBot connected via the USB cable if you wish to upload programs to run unattended on the mBot. The reason is the Bluetooth and WiFi modules cannot use the onboard programmer that is required to load the program into the mBot’s memory. When a program is “uploaded” via the USB cable, it overwrites anything else in memory and replaces it with the new program.

Here is a post listing the FAQs for mBot to you for reference.

Could someone help me with a testing workflow?

Thanks - I did not realize that. Good to know. :slight_smile: